C&K Launches Autoclave Safe Medical Switch Product Line
C&K, one of the world’s most trusted brands of high-quality electromechanical switches, today announced its new Medical Switch Product Line specializing in autoclave safe* products at the EDS Summit in Las Vegas. The new medical switch series from C&K helps the medical community adhere to today’s strict industry sterilization standards protecting patients from the risks associated with reusable tools. Sterilization ensures safe reuse, eliminating contamination resulting from fluid and contagion ingress.
Autoclave sterilization is one of the harshest environments a surgical instrument will encounter. Autoclave cycling sterilizes the device after exposure to bacteria, viruses, fungi and spores. Some medical devices are one time use, quarantined and disposed. Others are quarantined, sterilized and repackaged for reuse after sterilization. Similar to dental tool sterilization and reuse requirements, only these devices have active components that need to withstand autoclave cycling. An autoclave cycle reaches 135° C, under pressure, for up to 15 minutes. C&K’s Medical Switch Product Line features IP67 sealed switches that are biocompatibility tested, perfect for designers creating mission critical medical devices that require a sterilization process step.
“Medical device engineers are creating the applications that people entrust to keep them safe – from diagnostic equipment and active minimally invasive surgical tools to eHealth products –the switches in these devices need to work when activated, every time.” said Roger Bohannan, Medical Segment Leader, C&K. “C&K’s new Medical Switch Product Line is ideal for designers creating the quality, superior performing devices that the medical community relies upon to work properly in the most challenging situations.”
Testing demands of medical products vary – and C&K’s new medical switch family offers a variety of sterilization safe products that can be customized and tailored to meet the changing requirements of the industry:
- The KSC series is autoclave safe and well-suited for medical devices that must withstand the shuffle of chaotic medical environments, such as that of an emergency room. These ultra-long-life switches can last up to five million cycles and their silicon actuators facilitate switch integration, providing possible pre-travel and post-travel depending on force and actuator hardness.
- KMR microminiature SMT tactile switches are compact tact switches designed for a variety of harsh-environment applications, such as autoclave sterilization of medical devices and tools. These top-actuated switches come with Gullwing termination and are available in four actuation forces.
- The K12 series dual action switch offers customization options to meet most application requirements. Its configuration can be combined to reduce the number of actions required for use, making it easier for medical professionals to complete complicated procedures with fewer movements.
- Additional product lines from the C&K family of medical switches, such as the KSR, ATS and KMT series provide some level of sterilization process stability. Each family achieves either autoclave safe, gamma sterilization compatible or EtO sterilization safe levels.
For more information on how C&K can help designers of medical devices deliver products that meet sterilization challenges, please visit https://www.ckswitches.com/markets/medical/.
* Switches used in autoclave safe applications require testing and validation for customer specific requirements