Littelfuse Introduces Micro-D Connector Series with Removable Crimp Contacts for Aerospace Industry
By News Author | June 29, 2023
Littelfuse, Inc. (NASDAQ: LFUS), an industrial technology manufacturing company empowering a sustainable, connected, and safer world, announced the availability of its latest C&K product – the MDMA Micro-D Connector with removable crimp contacts. This unique design innovation allows end users to easily create custom cable harnesses, a feature not currently offered by any other Micro-D connectors on the market. No soldering or shrink tubing is required. (View the video)
The MDMA-MDMB Connector Series is ideal for use in many harsh environment applications, including:
- Space equipment (flight & engineering model)
- Satellite harnesses
- Launchers and payloads
- Avionics / Military
- Electrical Wiring Interconnection System (EWIS) manufacturers
- Other high-performance applications
"The MDMA Micro-D connector with removable crimp contacts is a game-changer for the space industry. It offers our customers flexibility, customization, and cost savings," said Rémi Antoine, Global Product Manager at C&K, a part of Littelfuse. "By ensuring only the required wires are used, there is a cost reduction for the harness manufacturer. The harness length is flexible and can be chosen to exactly suit the application, saving valuable time and weight for a space mission."
The MDMA-MDMB Micro-D microminiature compatible connectors offer several key benefits:
- Removable crimp contacts provide the flexibility to create or rework custom cable harnesses.
- Users can choose harness lengths to suit each unique application precisely.
- Saves valuable weight for space missions while enabling easy end-user installation.
- Eliminates the need for shrink tubing, typically used with solder bucket termination.
- Create custom harnesses with the choice of different wire types and sizes for each contact, as required.
- Compatible with existing Micro-D connectors and wire gauges from AWG24 to AWG28.
- Compliant with the ESA/ESCC 3401 specifications and is MIL-83513 compatible.
- Connectors not subject to outgassing.
How It Works
The MDMA-MDMB's high-performance Micropin™ contact system uses a "twist pin" spring male contact and tubular socket contact to provide removable crimp-type contacts that enable easy end-user installation and rework. Dedicated tools are available to make the retention test of each contact in the connectors and remove the contacts from the connectors for cable extraction.
The MDMA and MDMB Micro-D connectors are available in 9, 15, 21, 25, 31, 37, and 51-pin versions in either nickel or gold plating. Order the contacts separately. Place sample requests through authorized Littelfuse distributors worldwide. For a listing of Littelfuse distributors, please visit Littelfuse.com.
For More Information
Additional information is available on the MDMA and MDMB Micro-D Connector Series product page. For technical questions, please contact Rémi Antoine, Global Product Manager, at RANTOINE@littelfuse.com.
About C&K Switches
Acquired by Littelfuse in 2022, C&K Switches is a leading designer and manufacturer of high-performance electromechanical switches and interconnect solutions with a solid global presence across a broad range of end markets, including automotive, industrial, medical, transportation, aerospace, and datacom.
Littelfuse is a diversified, industrial technology manufacturing company empowering a sustainable, connected, and safer world. Across more than 20 countries, and with approximately 18,000 global associates, we partner with customers to design and deliver innovative, reliable solutions. Serving over 100,000 end customers, our products are found in a variety of industrial, transportation, and electronics end markets—everywhere, every day. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, United States, Littelfuse was founded in 1927. Learn more at Littelfuse.com.